Friday 11 November 2016

I love Dick by Chris Krause

"Dear Dick, I wonder what I'd do if I were you."

So my always adorable (and ladies he's single) friend Drew, decided, in his infinite wisdom to recommend this book to me. Let's say, the title was so hilarious I could not resist. I'm kind of questioning his recommendation. This book is way more cray cray than my life, mind you, if I was still married, I expect I'd find myself in similar crazy circumstances. Yikes, what a thought.

Back to the book. A couple have one dinner with an acquaintance and bam their lives are turned upside down. Chris falls  way crazily in love with the Dick of the title, even though their interaction is sleight an uninspired. She tells her husband and they begin a series of strange letter writing to explain their feelings to Dick. Much like over-talking and over-thinking anything goes kind of nowhere and sends you way down the rabbit hole, so the couple get carried away with this imaginary concoction.
The novel, or partial memoir ( it is never clear) strikes me as something truly sad. If you find yourself in a relationship where the only thing you share is a desire to interact with a third party, I'm guessing it is a big sign that things are not going to last.
In case it isn't immediately obvious, this wasn't my cup of tea. Chris appears kind of neurotic and when she gets called Kris in the letter towards the end, well that just cut way too close to home for me.

The title is catchy. The writing is intriguing and yet, I was left just a little cold and saddened by reading it. Perhaps that's just me. I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on the matter.

4 out of 5 because sometimes loving a dick is hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment